Factary has had over twenty years’ experience as a research service for not-for-profit organisations across the UK and Europe.
When we were founded in 1990, we knew that fundraisers needed specialist help to uncover prospective new donors and to learn more about their existing major donors and supporters. With a background in both fundraising and research, we knew that we could help.
Since then, Factary has evolved into a full-service knowledge, research and information consultancy for the non-profit sector.
- In 1992 we started database screening and analysis.
- In 1993 we launched New Trust Update, our monthly publication on newly registering grant-making trusts and foundations in the UK.
- In 1998 we opened our first international office in Barcelona, Spain.
- In 2001 we carried out the first study into major gift fundraising in continental Europe, in Austria.
- In 2002 we carried out our first feasibility study in Latin America.
- In 2003 Chapel and York published Chris Carnie’s book Fundraising from Europe.
- In summer 2003 we carried out the first ever data screening in continental Europe screening 7,924 records for a French environmental organisation.
- In 2004 we were joined by Helen E Brown, our US Director and partner, and President of the Helen Brown Group.
- In 2004 we carried out the first ever data screening in Spain.
- In December 2004 we announced our link-up with THINK Consulting Solutions, the leading fundraising consultancy.
- In 2005 we developed new directions for the company, with a new focus on:
- consulting and research for philanthropists;
- international consulting and research;
- knowledge management; and
- services to non-profits and their advisers.
- In 2005 we were part of a consortium that carried out the first study into legacy giving in Spain.
- In 2006 we opened our office in Belgium. Our EU and international research is managed from this office. In this year we also screened data in Belgium for the first time.
- In 2006 we conducted the first study into major gift fundraising in the Netherlands.
- In 2006 we renewed our logo and strapline.
- In February 2007 we separated from THINK Consulting Solutions and returned to full independence.
- In February 2011 we published the first study into venture philanthropy in the UK.
- In April 2012 we published Soliciting Gifts, the first study into the Community Responsibility policies and philanthropy of the UK’s top 20 law firms.